Subject: Re: [boost] gcc 4.4.3 + boost optional 1.40 crash
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-23 06:44:33

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 03:25:42PM +0400, Sergey Cheban wrote:
> On 23.11.2012 12:28, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
>
>> after banging my head for an entire day I come out with this
>> test case showing a possible bug in gcc 4.4.3 or in boost optional,
>> the test crashes with a pure virtual method called only if compiled
>> only with -O1, -O2, -O3.
>> The same code in another machine with gcc 4.7.2 and boost 1.49 works
>> fine.
> So, the bug you are talking about seems to be already fixed. What else
> do you want from the boost and gcc developers?

A wild guess would be that he has his set of distributions which ship
with a particular Boost and GCC version.

A solution could be a standalone hackfix that could be propagated
upstream to his distribution, or some evidence that can be used to
motivate installing a slightly higher Boost if it shows that it indeed
solves the problem.

I'd reckon that the question appears out of a belief that it's possible
to make point releases for older versions.

A common policy in some projects is that bugfixes for older supported
versions can be made as point releases, but new features requires a new
full release.

Boost, sadly, does no such thing. At best you get a point-release
inbetween the real releases, but once Boost revs the minor version, all
the old releases are forever set in stone.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]