Subject: Re: [boost] [Range] Proposal: a sub-maintainer of Boost.Range
From: Neil Groves (neil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-28 03:43:52

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Thorsten Ottosen <
thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 27-11-2012 23:27, Michel Morin wrote:
>
> Even with that policy model (i.e. Boost committers and
>> a Boost.Range sub-maintainer can apply patches), I think that
>> having a knowledgable sub-maintainer is good for the library.
>>

> No argument there.

I'm very happy for Nate to apply patches. I have seen enough of Nate's good
work to know that he would add significant value. I am very keen for this
to happen as it will be good for the user-base generally. I think we can
just do this without a change to policy.

I think Thorsten raises a good point about a general process change to
promote fast application of non-contentious patches. I think these are
what, quite understandably, frustrate our user base the most when we can't
get these applied due to illness or other circumstance. While I have been
slow with Boost.Range I think there are examples of slow patches to much
more significant issues elsewhere in the Boost libraries. I feel that
during periods with more free time I should probably have looked to help
mend these libraries too. Perhaps we should simply have an idiom of asking
for help more readily when we are busy. The existing Boost maintainers are
very decent folk and would have helped me if I had been sensible enough to
ask for assistance earlier. I have a lot of respect for Robert's concern
that one would have degradation to libraries by allowing excessive
openness. I think having a high barrier to entry to become a maintainer
should remain. As maintainers perhaps we should all look at more active
open tickets than our own and try and chip in on other areas where we feel
we can help. I intend doing this during the 2014 after my work schedule
abates and my health returns.

In summary, I think the processes are good. I've simply not applied my
usual work practices to Boost, asking for help occasionally should
certainly be acceptable and perhaps even become the norm during periods of
high activity / low development resource availability.

-Thorsten

Neil Groves