Subject: Re: [boost] [compond_file_binary] Gauging interest in a possible library submission.
From: Brian Ravnsgaard Riis (brian_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-05 06:56:41

Den 05-12-2012 10:09, Alexander Voitenko skrev:
>> ie a common interface with "pluggable" back-ends for various formats.
>> Would that be possible?
> I think yes, but with some restrictions, because some formats have unique
> specific features that are not shared among another formats.
> What is the boost policy about depending on a third-party software? Of
> course, I do not want to reinvent the wheel and write yet another
> implementation of zlib library.

That's understandable, and should not be necessary.

I'd suggest trying to define a clean boundary between the interface and
the implementation. You already have one back-end that makes the entire
package usable. Adding another backend later, or as an option, that
supports zlib/bzip2/whatever compression should be easier then.

As long as the library has one working imlementation that does not
depend on 3rd party software, I don't think there'll be any problems.
Boost.Locale already does this with ICU, which is required for certain
feature/platform combinations, but the library can be used without ICU;
it'll then not support the features that ICU provides. A similar
approach should be possible with zlib in your case.

Regards,
  Brian Riis