Subject: Re: [boost] [config] Macro for null pointer
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-05 07:43:34

On December 5, 2012 3:32:05 PM Felipe Magno de Almeida
<felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 5:22 AM, Andrey Semashev
> <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> ... and Microsoft's min/max macros cause no problems because they can be
> >> disabled with NOMINMAX. :-P
> >
> > I don't see how this is related. We're not making nullptr a macro, it
> > still obeys scoping rules.
>
> If it is global, then it is all scopes. And it can't even be qualified, because
> nullptr is never used qualified in user code.

I find reiterating myself. Yes, it is global but it's not a macro. The
global using declaration is optional and can be disabled if there's
another global nullptr available (a very slim probability). Other than
the global import, it does not conflict with any other implementation
(i.e. in another scope).

So, is there a use case that is broken with this approach that I'm missing?