Subject: Re: [boost] Flow-based programming library for Boost?
From: Marcus Tomlinson (themarcustomlinson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-06 01:28:18

To she'd some light on what applications can be build using such a library, it may be worth providing a little history on how it came to be.

I originally designed DSPatch to be a re-usable, modular process-chain engine I could use when writing audio applications (much like the patching engines found in DAW programs such as Pro Tools, FL Studio, etc.), but it eventually developed into a generic FBP framework, not limited to any particular signal / data type. The primary aim of this library is to allow fast, fluent, RUN-TIME circuit configuration (wiring, thread count adjustment, control, etc.), all while maintaining a steady flow of data through the system. This is very important when playing audio say, in a live setting (e.g. DJing), where adjusting the circuit (e.g. adding new components, or rewiring) should not effect the steady flow of audio data to the sound card. Audio is not the only application DSPatch is useful in though. I've already seen DSPatch used to model control circuits for instruments and controls on simulators. The point is that DSPatch is a generic framework for any process-chain oriented application, supporting complex configurations such as feedback loops, branch synchronization, integrated circuits and value type-adaptive IO. This is what I mean by: "total abstraction from the particular application" -which differentiates this library from a library like OMNet++.

I am quite confident that DSPatch could have a very gentle learning curve in comparison to the others, but due to the scarcity in documentation I'm afraid I may be hindering the project in that respect currently. I will definitely be fleshing out the documentation ASAP!

I hope this helps at all?