Subject: Re: [boost] [multiprecision] Request permision to merge to release.
From: Christopher Kormanyos (e_float_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-06 15:02:23

> I'd like to ask permission to merge the multiprecision
> lib to release.

Cool! Great!

<snip>

> * 300s timeouts - mostly from the intel compiler :-(

> Aside: in an effort to reduce the number of timeouts,
> I've basically gutted some of the tests when the compiler is Intel,
> and I think I have all the build times under 20s on my Linux box,
> yet I'm still getting 300s timeouts on some tester machines,
> either those machines are seriously underpowered or
> I'm missing something here :-(
> Cheers, John.

Don't know if this is the case here...

But I have encountered excessive compile times with Intel
compilers in the past. They Typically arose in large projects
or with large files that were integrated within Visual Studio,
but using ICC. The Intel compiler would keep grabbing memory
until it basically reached a crawl --- doing essentially nothing
but disk swapping with the operating system VM manager,
and all but forgetting the actual compilation task at hand.

It might be interesting if you try to observe the state of memory
consumption during one of those excessively long compile runs.

Again, I really don't know if this applies in our situation here
or if ICC just has a tough time with templates and optimizations.

Anyway, thanks for all your efforts.

Best regards, Chris.