Subject: Re: [boost] Flow-based programming library for Boost?
From: Marcus Tomlinson (themarcustomlinson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-09 03:13:37

Hi Julian, thanks for the post. I see a pattern forming :) I think I need to make my documentation clearer in a number of places.

Ok, in DSPatch, circuits provide 2 main purposes: encapsulation of a component network, and parallel processing control (see more on how parallel processing is done see: http://www.adaptaudio.com/DSPatch/spec_page.html). Components don't have to be added to a circuit to be routed together, this is just recommended due to the advantages (mentioned above) gained in this approach. Components have ConnectInput / DisconnectInout methods that can be called directly in order to create component networks outside of a circuit.

You are correct, there isn't a way to extract multiple values from a single input. This is because each component input can only accept one wire at a time. When another wire is connected to an input that already has a connected wire, that wire is replaced with the new one. This is not the case with outputs though. One output can be distributed to multiple inputs. This is definitely something that should be explained explicitly (I'll add it to the list).

I don't see dynamic typing as a limitation, I see it as quite useful. Lets say your processing an input stream of audio samples. With dynamic typing, you can adjust the audio's sample size at run-time and have the component input adapt dynamically without breaking flow.

I also have to disagree with you that object-oriented design has nothing to offer to dataflow programming, but perhaps this is just one man's opinion against other.