Subject: Re: [boost] Boost new library policy
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-10 11:15:51

Julian Gonggrijp wrote:
> Christof Donat wrote:
>
>> I am not too much of a fan of google analytics. The drawback is,
>> that it generates a central database of user behaviour on very many
>> sites. Is e.g. Piwik eventually an option for you
>> (http://www.piwik.org)?
>
> ++

If someone want's to do it, he can pretty much do it the way he wants to.
(subject to the constraint that it doesn't muck anything else up).

I only mentioned google analytics because it's the only one I know
about. I've used it by just droping the javascript code and it
was a no-brainer - which is a great feature from my stand point.
Of course, my needs were only the most rudimentary up until now.

Now I would like to be able to use some api to view statistics
for a library inside the library page that the user sees - not just
the administrator. Seems like a simple request, but .... you know...

On my previous provider they had a simple program would would
troll the local log. Actually this was the best solution for me - no
adding stuff to pages etc. Just thought I'd mention it.

Just to repeat what I've said in previous posts. It has always
been a sore spot to me that I can't get any statistics on how
many users the serialization library has. This is because boost
is deployed as "one big thing". With blincubator I want to avoid
that so we have some idea about how many people have found
a library useful. So if I see a library has been download 5000 times
and only has 10 complaints that's useful information. If a library
has been downloaded only 4 times and has 10 complaints, that's
also useful information. If 10,000 people reviewed the documentation
but only 20 downloaded it, that's useful information as well. etc...

Robert Ramey