Subject: Re: [boost] [Proposal] Adding CPUID Library in Boost
From: Shakti Misra (shakti.misra.study_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-12 00:05:38

I think if you look at the source of SSEPlus from AMD they are doing it at
runtime. They have a CPUID functionality to get the correct SEE level, and
dispatch to the correct intrinsic as per it. I do not have a perfect use
case, but in gaming applications it can be beneficial to see if the GPU is
present at run time, so as to use GPU or not. Mostly games would be
compiled and supplied to the end user.

Personally I use CPU ID when compiling it self, my script executes CPUID
and sets my SSE_SUPPORT_LEVEL and GPU_SUPPORT macros to a certain value,
which is then used. But it does not take into considerations the end user.
As I use it for my experiments, and the binaries execute in my machine only.

Ofcourse if it is needed by people Boostification needs to be done for it.