Subject: [boost] [Git] Extracting libraries from the svn sandbox
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-12 15:57:31

One of the issues that came up in the documentation discussion was the
desire to extract still useful sub-trees from the old svn sandbox, and
to move them to GitHub.

I've been able to extract my proposed endian library from the sandbox,
history and all. Here was the process:

1) Created a empty repository named "endian" in my GitHub account via
the usual web interface.

2) From the command line, in a temporary directory:

  git svn clone https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/endian

(Got a "Error validating server certificate...", and gave "p" as a
response to the "(R)eject, accept (t)emporarily or accept
(p)ermanently?" query. The process ran for perhaps 10 minutes, but
that was fine because it was successful at recovering history. And it
is a one-time process.)

  cd endian
  git branch -d git-svn
  git push --mirror git_at_[hidden]:Beman/endian.git

That's it! The git branch command deletes the git-svn branch, which is
an artifact of the conversion process.

Finish off by cloning the library in its permanent local location:

  cd permanent-local-location
  git clone git_at_[hidden]:Beman/endian.git

Comments? Is there a better way to do this?

Once comments have come in, I'll create a doc page for doing this,
with a link from the FAQ.

--Beman