Subject: Re: [boost] Flow-based programming library for Boost?
From: Marcus Tomlinson (themarcustomlinson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-15 17:44:39

> Note that in a sense the DSPatch wire is a special case of the
> producer-consumer queue where the buffer has only one slot, so it's
> always either full or empty, forcing the producer and consumer
> components to work strictly in tandem.

Can I just quickly clarify that DSPatch does make use of producer-consumer pattern -Signals are buffered. The consumer has a slot per thread used to process the circuit (4 threads : 4 slots in each buffer). While one signal is being processed by the component, other incoming signals are being queued. Remember, one of the core features that DSPatch provides is the ability to run DSPatch circuits using no threads at all. This approach to the producer-consumer problem is designed as such to be scalable in this respect.