Subject: Re: [boost] [boost-steering] Re: [Git] Documentation for Git and Modular Boost conversion
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-15 20:56:51

on Fri Dec 07 2012, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/7/2012 3:48 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>
>> Boost is making this transition. It *will* cause some disruption. It
>> will also make things easier for some people. IMO we should not burden
>> this move, which is supposed to make it easier and more efficient
>> overall for Boost to operate, with any unnecessary obligations.
>
> Well.. I found the more reasonable (in the sense that it doesn't leave
> people hanging that do what I do).. In the form of GitHub's subversion
> support
> <https://github.com/blog/1178-collaborating-on-github-with-subversion>. I
> tried this with the current BBv2 git project and it works nicely. So I
> would suggest that this is something we should add to the
> documentation.

If it really works, I'm all for documenting it. However, I'd be shocked
if your existing externals will continue to work because a) we're not
going to have a monolithic git repo and b) even in the repo with
submodules (which will only track releases) it's going to have a
different directory structure.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training