Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Documentation for Git and Modular Boost conversion
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-17 13:36:28

on Mon Dec 17 2012, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> on Sun Dec 16 2012, "Peter Dimov" <lists-AT-pdimov.com> wrote:

>> produce

>> > I wonder how testing will work. Will the "develop" and "master"
>> > branches of each repo be tested?
>>
>> What's going to be tested is fluid. The ultimate goal is to allow
>> developers to request specific combinations of tests with each commit by
>> modifying a .json file in their project's root directory. In the
>> meantime, I expect to test every commit on any branch.
>>
>> The biggest question is against which versions of Boost dependencies the
>> commit will be tested. The obvious choices are 1. the version that was
>> part of the last boost release, and 2. the last version of the
>> dependency to be individually released (i.e. that dependency's "master"
>> branch).
>>
>> Feedback/opinions on that choice are most welcome.
>>

> Since there are clearly some decisions outside of my understanding as
> testing manager, and part of the release team... Could someone please
> comment on what is expected for the release that is based from github?

Sorry, the question is too vague for me to answer. What kind of
expectations, expected by whom, and for the release of what (I presume
Boost as a whole, but pls confirm)?

> Because barring any other direction testing will be exactly what it is
> right now.. Which is to test the the *release* (either trunk/develop
> of release/master branches) structure of Boost.

For monolithic Boost testing, boost's master repo (the one containing
the submodules) will have some number of active branches. We can decide
which of those branches get tested. Each such branch specifies the
precise versions of all component libraries that will be tested.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training