Subject: Re: [boost] Boost SIMD beta release
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-20 12:11:51

On 20/12/12 14:49, Thorsten Ottosen wrote:

> Sure, the 80 bits are one reason that a naive sum is often as precise as
> a kahan sum on x87.
>
> Let me ask another way: compilers often provide flags that affect how
> code is generate for fp. For example, we use fp:precise on VS. Do
> fp:precise affect SIMD code or?

fp:precise is the normal operating mode for floating-point, i.e. the
compiler is not allowed to do optimizations that would break your code.
This is the only mode in which we guarantee the numerical accuracy of
our results. (we usually guarantee 1 ulp)

fp:fast considers that floating-point operations are associative, among
others, which enables more transformations on your code and possible
optimizations or automatic parallelizations (parallelization may require
changing the order of operations).
Since floating-point operations are not really associative, you could
end up with different results (e.g. a kahan sum will be considered
equivalent to a normal sum).

Boost.SIMD can also be used in this mode, but whether the compiler will
be able to use it with vector intrinsics and not just scalars depends on
how good it is.