Subject: Re: [boost] [BTREE] Get BTREE library into boost - Market Research
From: Rutger ter Borg (rutger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-21 03:26:43

On 2012-12-20 16:45, Beman Dawes wrote:

>> 2) Data compression for pages (less file sizes, less memory usage,
>> ordered data can be compressed very good)
>
> I'm strongly against that. The full rationale for not doing
> compression is lengthy research paper, but the bottom line is what
> Rudolf Bayer said so many years ago with regard to prefix and suffix
> key compression - the increased complexity and reduced reliability
> makes compression very unattractive.
>
> The problems of compression are closely related to the problems of
> variable length data. If the application is willing to tolerate
> sequential (rather than binary) search at the page level, or is
> willing to tolerate an indexed organization on pages, or even (gasp!)
> an additional disk access per comparison, these problems aren't
> necessarily showstoppers. But if some applications won't tolerate even
> a dispatch (either a virtual function or a hand-rolled dispatch) to
> select the approach being employed, then the only choice I can see is
> to provide essentially multiple sets of classes, and that gets complex
> and messy.

At what point do you expect serialization to be executed? Do pages need
to be kept in a serialized state in memory? Is it wrong to, say,
represent a page with a std::map in memory, and serialize to a binary
page when writing? In the latter case, compression seems to be less
difficult.

>> 3) Ability for user to provide custom read/write mutexes (fake mutex,
>> interprocess mutex, std::mutex)
>
> There is a spectrum of needs. I've seen various designs that are
> optimal for various points in that spectrum. Can you point to any
> design that is optimal across the spectrum from single thread, single
> process, single machine, on up through multi-thread, multi-process,
> multi-machine?

MVCC for b-trees comes close. See, e.g.,
http://guide.couchdb.org/draft/btree.html

Cheers,

Rutger