Subject: Re: [boost] [thread] to std:: or not to std::
From: Artyom Beilis (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-23 04:51:09

I want to add my $0.02 Boost Thread is on the one hand one of the center pices of the Boost library as threading is very important part of many applications, on the other hand it is one of the libraries that had broken the interfaces, APIs semantics so many times that to be honest I'm not sure how can I recommend it for any organization or product to use. I remember that I had severe problems in one of my project because of some API that was broken between 1.33 and 1.35 and later (IIRC) 1.38 For this reason I had brought my own threading library for one of my projects that is sufficient subset of Boost.Thread but I at least know that it works as I expect. Now I'm quite surprised that terminate is used instead of detach... If I was continue to use Boost.Thread it would clearly broke one of my applications as I relay on this behavior at several points. So please... do us a favor - stop breaking Boost libraries. Boost developers tend to forget that there are actually users who relay on these libraries and they finally got stuck with prehistoric/unsupported boost versions. Artyom Beilis -------------- CppCMS - C++ Web Framework:   http://cppcms.com/ CppDB - C++ SQL Connectivity: http://cppcms.com/sql/cppdb/ >________________________________ > From: Michael Caisse <mcaisse-lists_at_[hidden]> >To: boost_at_[hidden] >Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:05 AM >Subject: [boost] [thread] to std:: or not to std:: > >There seems to be a trend to migrate boost::thread to std::thread. > >Has there been consideration that perhaps the user community may not want this?  There are differing opinions on threads (obviously) and recent breaking changes concern me. > >For example, the thread destructor now calling terminate instead of detach has made the upgrade to 1.52 more troublesome than it should have been. > >Will the next move be to remove interruption points? We have purposely selected Boost.Thread on a few projects that are also using C++11 because we prefer the Boost.Thread behaviour and feature set. > >The purpose of this email isn't to debate the merit of the Boost.Thread feature set but instead to understand the future direction of the library. > >Can Vicente or someone provide the intended road map or general plan for the library? > >Thanks! >michael > >-- Michael Caisse >ciere consulting >ciere.com > > >_______________________________________________ >Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost > > >