Subject: [boost] utf8_codecvt facet - volunteer opportuntiy
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-24 17:53:22

Our implementation for a codecvt facet internal wide char to/from utf8
format requires some maintainence.

We have our own implementation since 2001. Since then, the standard libary
has come to specify some implementations and some libraries have implemented
some or all of this aspect of the standard library. I've come to believe
that we should:

a) tweak our code to use the standard library implementations if they exist.
b) tweak our code to use the names of the standard library implementation
b) tweak our build so that our version replaces the the standard library
implementation
when and only when there is no standard implemenation available.

This seemingly simple task is complicated by the following circumstances.

a) The relationshp between UCS and Unicode is pretty confusing.
b) The iterface for codecvt is confusing.
c) a number of standard library implementations have non-conforming
codecvt interface.
d) a number of standard library implementations don't have any
codecvt header at all. This is not a problem for our current
implementation because we never import it.

Anyone interested in working on this should contact Marshall, Beman or
myself
(in that precedance).

Robert Ramey