Subject: Re: [boost] [git] What about unmaintained libraries?
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-25 15:59:59

on Mon Dec 24 2012, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the clarifications, Beman.
>
> On December 24, 2012 8:42:10 PM Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> All public repos are part of boost-lib, so those that have overall
>> write permission for https://github.com/boost-lib can modify any
>> component library's public repo, and that includes apply changes to
>> permissions as well as changes to the actual library.
>
> So, is the library repo an independent repo on GitHub that is somehow
> linked to boost-lib (like svn externals), or is it more like a
> subdirectory within boost-lib?

http://github.com/boost-lib is the GitHub "organization" (similar to a
user) that owns the repositories. It is not itself a repository.
http://github.com/boost-lib/boost is a repository that refers to the
individual repositories as submodules.

> From what you say about permissions it looks like the latter is closer
> to the truth and in that case it is logical that permissions of owners
> of boost-lib also apply to the subprojects.

You can read about how GitHub "organization" permissions work on the
GitHub website.
https://help.github.com/articles/what-are-the-different-access-permissions

> But while reading the wiki you wrote I got the impression that each
> library has its own repo linked to the boost-lib structure.

I don't know what you mean by "linked" or "structure" in this context.

> This seemed logical, considering the case when a library is first
> developed as an independent GitHub project and then linked to
> boost-lib when reviewed and accepted. If so, each library repo is
> independent from boost-lib and thus boost-lib permissions no longer
> apply. Did I get it wrong?

I suggest reading the link above.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training