Subject: Re: [boost] Losing history (Was: [git] Boost.Build location_
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-27 12:45:51

Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
>> On 27.12.2012 04:28, Daniel Pfeifer wrote:
>> Wait, what? As far as I'm concerned, conversion to git that loses
>> history is simply unacceptable.
>> Version control is used for software development for a good reason.
>> Not do I find it acceptable to impose history conversion task on
>> every individual developer.
>>
>> Can somebody from the Steering Committee clarify what's going on
>> here?
>
> Frankly, that particular piece of information is news to me as well.
> Granted nobody ever explicitly said history would be preserved in the
> process (as
> far as I remember), but neither did anybody explicitly say it would
> be lost. And I missed to ask about this - doh!
>
> I agree losing history or having to manually preserve it is
> unacceptable.

Hmmm.. Let's suppose for a moment that the modularization effort
resulted in a repository which didn't include the current history.
There's no reason that the old SVN has to go way. I guess it
could be made read only. It would also be convienient that
the web browsing feature be re-enabled. That is, pre-history
would still be available - just not a conveniently as now.

Robert Ramey