Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Regression testing modular Boost
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-28 13:46:23

Just getting back to this as the drive on my mac is now repaired.. In a
totally empty state :-(

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Wed Dec 26 2012, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
> > OK.. What's is the not manual way to do this without having git?
>
> http://www.samba.org/~jelmer/dulwich/

OK.. That helps somewhat. It makes it possible to just write one piece of
code for all testers (since we require python and we can add installing
dulwich to that). But now I need to figure out what to write to use dulwich
(the sample/test scripts don't implement all of the git front end commands
fully). My goal is to have the equivalent of:

    git clone -b <branch> --depth 1 --recursive
https://github.com/boost-lib/boost.git <some-test-dir>

The first time, but with the shallow depth also applied recursively
(something which seems to me to be a bug in git). And subsequent times
doing:

    git pull --recurse-submodules https://github.com/boost-lib/boost.git>

Or at least that what I understand will give me only the current revision/s
the first time. And then get only the subsequent updates correctly applied.
Help in verifying that those would be the correct base git commands to
emulate is appreciated. For those that will question why I'm going to the
trouble.. One of the goals of the testing scripts is to minimize disk space
*and* network bandwidth. Hence the convoluted fetch as minimal info as
possible and store as minimal info as possible. Which brings a question..

    Is there a way to have the local repo only store the current HEAD
revision files (i.e. minimize the contents of the .git dir)?

And also..

    Is it possible to only store the specific branch revisions in the git
repo dir?

-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything