Subject: Re: [boost] [interprocess] (OS X) waiting on condition variable = CPU 100% + fans running loud
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-08 10:50:00

El 08/01/2013 14:38, Tim Blechmann escribió:
>> [CCing Tim duet to Boost.Atomic/Lockfree mention]
>>
>> We need to be compatible with C++03 compilers so I guess maybe
>> Boost.Atomic/Boost.Lockfree might be a good candidates for these utilities.
>
> i think it is a good idea to use boost/std atomics. smart_ptr has
> support for much more architectures, though ... it would be best to
> integrate all that architectures into boost.atomic ...

Is there any plan to improve Boost.Atomic portability? I guess we have
enough atomic experts in Boost but maybe we'll need to make some "call
for experts" to support more architectures.

I read from Boost.Atomic documentation that supported platforms are:

- gcc 4.x: i386, x86_64, ppc32, ppc64, armv5, armv6, alpha

- Visual Studio Express 2008/Windows XP, i386

That seems a bit limited unless under "GCC" we have several compilers
compatible with GCC and MSVC (maybe Intel, Clang, Freescale? etc.).

Maybe some Summer of code projects could help here.

Ion