Subject: [boost] [non-instrusive move] interest in new library?
From: THOMAS JORDAN (tomjordan766_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-09 06:35:01

Apologies, my previous email I sent incomplete by mistake, please ignore
that in favour of the following:
Hi,
Would there be interest for Boost in a small library providing a simple,
non-instrusive emulation of basic move semantics for
C++03 (though one which could also be used without harm in a C++11
environment)?

The library currently consists of a small number of 'move' function
overloads, plus a trait class. It can be used to facilitate
move semantics/efficient value-orientated software design in environments
which lack, or forbid C++11 or other, more intrusive
C++03-aware move libraries (e.g., old/buggy compiler, learning curve
prohibitive, etc.).
In conjunction it facilitates/forces copy-elision and return-value (RVO)
optimisations in certain situations where they might
otherwise not be feasible.

It works as follows: it detects at compile-time if the type of the
argument(s) has a member swap function, and if so, it
performs a swap, otherwise it calls the regular assignment operator ('move
if possible, copy otherwise').

It can be used to provide an emulation of:
- move-assignment between lvalues
- moving an rvalue to an lvalue
- moving an lvalue to a temporary
It also supports moving between built-in arrays.

Example use-cases are (ignoring namespace):

#include "non_intrusive_move.h"

//returning a value

std::string foo(std::string s)
{
     //e.g., append something to s
     //...
     //compiler can perform rvo (compiler would likely not perform nrvo if
just used 'return s;')
     return move(s);
}

//moving a value to a function/ctor, when the value is not required by the
calling code after the
//function/ctor call

std::string s("hello");
void bar(std::string s){...}
bar(s); //copy
bar(move(s)); //move

//moving a value into place

void MyClass::MyClass(std::string s)
{
      //move value from s into default constructed member s_
      move(s, s_);
}

Note that the combination of both moving a value to a function/ctor and
then moving it into place

e.g.,
std::string lv;
//...
MyClass mc(move(lv));
//lv no longer needed

effectively results in a zero-copy invocation, with just a small number of
fixed size swap, default ctor and shallow dtor
calls, so this is pretty efficient.

//moving a temporary into an lvalue
std:: string lv;
move(foo(), lv); //nicer than foo().swap(lv)

The moved-from value is left in a 'valid' but undefined state, i.e., it can
be destructed, assigned/moved to, swapped, etc.

The library is non-intrusive and generic, it will perform an efficient move
in terms of swap for any type providing a member
swap operation, e.g, std::vector, boost::array, user-defined types etc. It
also performs an efficient move for built-in arrays.
The library is header-only and currently depends only on boost::enable_if
and boost::swap as external dependencies.
It is portable between C++03 and C++11 and has a gentle learning curve -
the code is brief and easy to understand
(with possible exception of the traits class) - I think that is quite an
important feature of the library.

It might be feasible to add a few other things, e.g., move, move_backward
algorithms.

The library is not intended to be standard-compliant (though similar where
possible), and is not intended to compete with a
much richer, but 'intrusive' library like Boost.Move.

I've called it 'non-intrusive move' for the moment but it could of course
be called something else (e.g., simple_move).

Regards,
Tom