Subject: Re: [boost] [variant] Basic rvalue and C++11 features support
From: Joel de Guzman (djowel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-11 01:23:42

On 1/11/13 11:38 AM, Rob Stewart wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2013, at 6:29 PM, Joel de Guzman <djowel_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, that's probably not the worst thing about it. The fact that it can
>>> also throw is the one that has the more subtle and far reaching consequences.
>>
>> And that is utterly disappointing. This "conservative" move makes all proxy-like
>> objects with pointer ownership very inefficient! While we are advocating pass by
>> value!
>>
>> So... can anyone finally give a good definition of what "valid" means?
>
> Validity depends upon the class in question. A smart pointer can be null and still
> valid. In your case, the class has the semantics that it always references a value.
> Changing that, to permit a null state, may be acceptable or it may have unacceptable
> side effects. Perhaps a new type, with the null state, can be added and used in some of
> the current contexts.
>
> That your tests passed after your changes suggests that Spirit might well use such a
> type without problem.

The problem Paul mentions is very unlikely to happen in real code. I agree
with him that it is more of a paranoia. In 99.9999999% of the cases, the
moved-from object will be destructed right away. Such a paranoid conservative
move will penalize the 99.9999999% of cases, IMO.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com