Subject: Re: [boost] [string_ref] type erasure to support arbitrary strings
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-30 08:48:32

On 30/01/13 14:16, Andreas Pokorny wrote:

> Thats why I would prefer a facility that only requires that the source
> string is a forward range of characters in an arbitrary encoding.
>
> I do not think that it makes sense to only address contiguous
> sequences of characters.

In practice strings are always stored contiguously, whatever the string
type (std::string, Qt or whatever).
Making it work with arbitrary forward iterators would have a huge
unnecessary overhead.

There might be a slight use case for chunked strings, but it's
definitely not necessary to go the arbitrary forward iterator route.