Subject: Re: [boost] Query of interest for a container output library
From: Tal Zion (talzion12_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-30 22:48:44

> Have you investigated the Container Printing Lib from boostcon 2007?

I looked into Boost.Explore after I started working on this project.
My thoughts were that I could improve it by writing a more generic library
which works with all types of containers.
The fact that it worked with only specific containers was odd to me.
It seemed to me that Boost.Explore was not under active development, so I
wrote my own solution, mainly because I didn't know who to contact.
I really liked the name Boost.Explore.

> If it can output what about input? and Isn't this best done with
> boost::spirit karma for printing
and qi for input?

This library so far has been about simplicity for end users.
I think that in this case simplicity is a big factor because streaming
containers should be easy. What makes a library great is the ability to be
used simply in simple situations and still offer powerful tools for more
elaborate problems.
Boost.Spirit is a very powerful and complex tool which might not always fit
the need for simple container output.
When I first started learning Boost.Spirit it took me a few good days to
understand what was going on. DSELs (domain specific embedded languages)
were very new and confusing to me.
Also Boost.Spirit's complexity imposes dramatically increased compilation
times.

In my opinion for simple problems there should be simple solutions.
Boost.Spirit is a great tool, but seems to me like an overkill for simple
output of containers.
It might be a good idea to integrate Boost.Spirit.Karma generators to the
library for more complex needs.

Input doesn't seem to me in the scope of this library, but my mind isn't
completely made up about the subject.

Tal Zion