Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Documentation update
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-11 23:18:53

NOTE: Part of this discussion was within the release team. But it was
suggested that it should also be generally public. Hence I'm raising some
of the same issues from the private discussion.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Mon Feb 11 2013, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:

> >> Oh, that's rather lame. Is there a reason you're not going to use
> >> libgit2 instead of dulwich?
> >>

> > Yes.. The python bindings for libgit2 are terribly/unusably incomplete.
>
> Surely they're complete enough to allow you to clone and pull, no? What
> more do you need?

Why would one assume that? First there is no binding to "git_clone" <
https://github.com/search?q=git_clone+repo%3Alibgit2%2Fpygit2&type=Repositories&ref=advsearch&l=>.
So it's a nonstarter at step zero. Second there are no bindings for
submodules/subrepos. Which might be an additional nonstarter if the
git_clone didn't recurse clone/pull subrepos.

I was faced with either implementing some of the additional
clone/pull/checkout/update code with dulwich or likely implement even more
for libgit2. Hence I'm sticking with dulwich. Since at least that gives the
advantage of being pure Python.

My initial problems where mostly because I was trying to do things that
where not actually supported by the git client/server design.. Of course I
didn't know that because the git design is essentially non-existent and
anything that exists is ad-hoc and minimal.. AFAICT.

My latest problems don't have much to do with dulwich at this point.. More
of not being able to do anything interesting (i.e. efficient) because of
the limitation of the git server and system. Yes, sad to say I've had to
learn way more than I really wanted about git. And it has only confirmed my
educated suspicions about it.

But I'll get something working eventually. Just will not be soon.

Sadly-and-somewhat-frustratedly.. Rene.

-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything