Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Documentation update
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-12 20:30:31

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 1:39 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Tue Feb 12 2013, "Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr." <
> jeffrey.hellrung-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> >> Is git for windows dead-simple to install yet?
> >>

> > I've always thought so.
>
> IMO it wasn't always dead-simple. Too many choices of what to install,
> confusing documentation about what you're actually getting with each
> choice, etc., were all problems. I feel safe recommending
> http://windows.github.com, though. I guess I should test it myself
> before being so confident...

Here is my experience on this.
I am a user of git who retrieve libraries and sometime patch them and
provide PR on GitHub and Bitbucket,
but I don't fully use git as I find Mercurial far more clear on the command
line interface (and TortoiseHg helps a lot too
but I suspect a future Windows release of SourceTree will change things
radically).

First I must say that git itself on windows is less obscure than it was few
years ago. Still, errors

Currently, I have 3 tools that deal with git:

 - TortoiseGit (+MSysGit) : it install everything but git so you have to
install MSysGit first. Once done the GUI
   is pretty much inspired fromg
 - GitGUI
 -