Subject: Re: [boost] [GSOC] Are we going to participate?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-14 13:07:17

Andrew Sutton wrote:
> Encourage students to be
> ambitious with proposals by proposing ambitious projects. Projects of
> the form "fix bugs in XXX" or "implement feature YYY" may appeal to
> some students, but they're about as interesting as watching paint dry.
>
> It has been my opinion for several years that Boost is best served by
> GSoC by recruiting students to work on novel and interesting projects.
> This cannot happen if projects are constrained to those that can be
> finished in 3 months.

I think I agree with these observations. My take away is that GSOC is
probably not a good match for boost. I'm thinking that "projects" can
be classified between two models. At one extreme there are "toy",
"academic"
 projects which enphasize experimental ideas and test and study them.
At the other are "industrial strength" projects which can pass the
stringent requirements of boost users. These latter are 2% inspiration
and 98% perspiration - probably not what students are looking for and
likely not the best usage of their time in school.

Robert Ramey