Subject: Re: [boost] [GSOC] Are we going to participate?
From: Michael Marcin (mike.marcin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-14 14:29:50

Antony Polukhin wrote:
> 2013/2/14 Michael Marcin <mike.marcin_at_[hidden]>:
>> Boris Schaeling wrote:
>>> For now no idea is too stupid - and even if it is, it might help someone
>>> else to get a good idea. :)
>
> More ideas:
> - USB library (integrated with asio?)
> - COM port library (integrated with asio?)
> - Hardware random number generator (integate with Boost.Random!)
> - Pipes and named pipes library (integrated with asio? integrated with
> IOstreams?)
> - Protocols implementation based on asio (SNMP for example )
> - Simple key-value reading and storing (or just allow program options
> to write options into config file)
> - Full text search
> - Near Duplicate Detection (shingling)

Antony Polukhin wrote:> 2013/2/14 Michael Marcin <mike.marcin_at_[hidden]>:
>> Boris Schaeling wrote:
>>> For now no idea is too stupid - and even if it is, it might help
someone
>>> else to get a good idea. :)
>
> More ideas:
> - USB library (integrated with asio?)
> - COM port library (integrated with asio?)
> - Hardware random number generator (integate with Boost.Random!)
> - Pipes and named pipes library (integrated with asio? integrated with
> IOstreams?)
> - Protocols implementation based on asio (SNMP for example )
> - Simple key-value reading and storing (or just allow program options
> to write options into config file)
> - Full text search
> - Near Duplicate Detection (shingling)
>
>> We don't have to volunteer to implement any of these ideas right? :)
>
> Let's be honest, this ideas require much more than 3 months of coding:
>
>> - Hardware graphics (OpenGL/OpenGL|ES/DirectX abstraction)
>> - GUI library
>> - physics library (ODE/Havok/PhysX/etc abstraction)
>
> This is already implemented in Boost.PropertyTree (and there is a
> Spirit implementation in Spirits examples)
>> - json parsing libary
>
> Those I'd really love to heave:
>> - trie data structure
>> - radix sort

Some more:

- boost.flyweight value factories ( http://tinyurl.com/bktkc3s )
- concurrent containers (unordered_map, unordered_set, vector, forward_list)
- parallel algorithms (sort, for_each)
- type switch library ( http://tinyurl.com/n3449 )
- slim string (as opposed to the fat std::string interface, maybe
immutable, maybe policy based, I seem to recall something like a
flex_string)
- rpc library
- benchmark framework (don't know if it's possible but something to help
write reliable and good benchmarks that is as easy to use as the unit
test framework, maybe output svg charts using the old gsoc visualization
libary)
- algorithms for gpgpu
- video processing library (gil for video)
- kinetic scrolling
- cpuid
- channel library ( http://channel.sourceforge.net/ )