Subject: Re: [boost] [GSOC] Are we going to participate?
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-18 05:42:54

This sounds a good project in that it is conceivably doable in 3 months, and can build on the
existing infrastructure of testing and docs, and does not necessarily require a review (or only a
mini one).

My experience mentoring the Checks project is that it was possible to get to a reviewable state -
but only because I had set up the infrastructure with a template for testing and docs. I think we
would have made it to review if the student hadn't decided that there was a better way of doing it
and so re-wrote it substantially!

 - and then his studies intervened ;-(

This suggests to me that revision or rejuvenation or extension of existing libraries to produce
'Version 2' might provide good projects? Or picking up orphaned projects or libraries (endian? -
Beman has more important jobs to do ;-) )

We seem to have a lot of nearly finished projects - and that means a lot of wasted work?

Paul

PS This does not exclude 'Blue Skies' projects suggested by Andrew Sutton where we can't expect a
finished project.

---
Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK