Subject: Re: [boost] [math] Support for libquadmath/ __float128
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-22 04:11:44

> Of course a simpler solution is possible if you just want the numeric
> constants
> working for __float128, but it would be nice to make the type a first
> class
> C++ type that interoperates with all of Boost.Math.
> John.

>If you would like my opinion, I would recommend creating a
>backend for boost::multiprecision::number, as John has suggested.
>The backend *looks* formidable in code, but it is quite lightweight.
>This would provide a very nice resource for Boost.

>But John, don't you already have the wrap? During the review
>of Multiprecision, you provided evidence of the lightweight overhead
>of boost::multiprecision::number by implementing a wrap for
>the native double type. I seem to remember that you implemented this
>wrap as a template for potentially any native type.

I almost have the wrap - the builtin-type wrapper I provided won't quite
work "as is" because __float128 isn't a first class native type. But it's
only a cut and paste job to fix it up.

>Would this potentially be another project for GSoC 2013?

Might actually be too small for that, although it could be used as a way of
getting them started. Proabably not very "exciting" for them either :-(

John.