Subject: Re: [boost] Is there interest in a collection of call stack utilities?
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-03 20:15:15

Mathias Gaunard <mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On 03/03/13 15:20, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
>> Mathias Gaunard <mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> writes:

>>> Just get the core dump and import it in your debugger.
>>
>> From my users? I'm not sure many of them know how to do this. Hell, I
>> don't even know how to do this.
>>
>> In any case, aren't they only produced if a program crashes? What I
>> often need is the backtrace when my program has caught an exception and
>> shown users an error message.
>
> How do you think errors are reported with software like Firefox?

Firefox only reports crashes, not arbitrary errors. I've no idea how it
does it (Google have a library you can use to add the same functionality
to your own project) but that's not the use-case where Artyom's code
would be useful.

Instead, his code is used to get source information for errors that
occur during normal program operation. Core dumps (crashes) should be a
vanishingly rare event in deployed software, but errors happen as part
of normal program behaviour. When the cause of the error is a bug in
the software rather than user error or environment, it would be
invaluable if the user could provide a back-trace as part of their bug
report.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)