Subject: Re: [boost] Is there interest in a collection of call stack utilities?
From: Adam Romanek (romanek.adam_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-04 02:01:46

On 03/03/2013 12:56 PM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:

> While it is interesting, I have not found it to be that useful in practice.
> The debugger already does all of this better that you could ever do
> yourself.
>
> It is probably a better idea to integrate your app with a debugger than
> to rewrite a debugger inside your app.

There are many situations where that is not the right approach.

One of them is web-servers and web-frameworks running arbitrary
applications. Once such an application throws an uncaught exception then
its stack trace with some other application state can be sent via e-mail
to the application admins. I've seen that in practice and it's been very
helpful.

In my opinion there is no point of discussing whether stack traces are
useful or not. Some of us would surely benefit from such a functionality
in Boost, some of us would not. It's the same situation as with other
Boost libraries.

In short, yes to cross-platform stack traces in Boost.

WBR,
Adam Romanek