Subject: [boost] boost::interprocess::unique_ptr vs Boost.SmartPtr
From: Adam Romanek (romanek.adam_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-07 16:06:15

Hi!

If I'm correct then the first "serious" implementation of unique_ptr for
C++03 was written by Howard Hinnant, which was later adopted to
Boost.Interprocess library.

Unfortunately, I suppose not many people are aware of the fact that
unique_ptr for C++03 is available in Boost. Even worse, I know people
who are aware of it but who are afraid of using it just because it is
provided by Boost.Interprocess, not by Boost.SmartPtr.

Therefore, here's my proposal:
- boost::interprocess::unique_ptr could be pulled into the top-level
boost namespace
- Boost.SmartPtr could provide a header file for unique_ptr that would
pull the implementation from Boost.Interprocess; such a header file
could also be placed in the top-level boost directory so that it could
be accessed more easily
- boost::unique_ptr could be documented in the documentation for
Boost.SmartPtr library, providing use cases, emulation limitations etc.

I believe that would make unique_ptr for C++03 available to wider audience.

What do you think about this idea?

With best regards,
Adam Romanek