Subject: Re: [boost] [Filesystem] v3 path separator changes
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-23 12:18:04

Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Alexander Lamaison <awl03_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Is it time for a Boost.Filesystem v4 to result from an in-depth
>> discussion on here?
>
> Probably not since the C++ standard committee is so far along with a
> Filesystem Technical Specification (TS). Once that ships (possibly
> later this year), Boost.Filesystem will be brought into sync with the
> TS. That doesn't involve much functional change, but it will cause a
> major update to the Boost.Filesystem reference documentation.
>
>> I'd hope it would take the best of v3 while
>> removing some of the hurt it introduced in the process. For example, my
>> top two issues are:
>> - unclear generic/native path handling
>
> See http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2013/n3505.html
>
> The committee's Filesystem Study Group put a lot of effort into
> clarifying the class path specs.

I'll read that with interest. Is that why there wasn't much discussion
here of the changes that went into filesystem v3: because it was
happening outside Boost?

Out of interest, is there a way us laypeople can contribute to the TS
discussion?

>> - methods returning a 'path' for stuff that isn't a path but just needs
>> a unicode string
>
> Support for C++11 u16string and u32string will make that a bit easier,
> but it is really a misuse of class path. The real fix is improved
> string interoperability, and there is work going on separate from
> Boost.Filesystem to address that.

Good. Where? Because the discussion of a Boost Unicode string died.
Several times over.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)