Subject: Re: [boost] License of endian and limits in Boost detail
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-25 08:19:42

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM, John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> Has this really been broken for 12 years?
>

> Originally this code (and Boost in general) was not under the BSL, in fact
> most of it was under an SGI-like license. Unfortunately there were a few
> corner cases we couldn't easily get rid of.
>
> In the case of limits.hpp I'm almost completely sure we can just remove it,
> I don't think that any system that relied on it could cope with modern Boost
> anyway.
>
> endian.hpp is much harder, Beman what did you borrow from SGI for this one?

I wasn't involved in the original creation of either limits.hpp or endian.hpp.

I'll leave limits.hpp to you, but for endian.hpp I think Boost.Endian
should provide that functionality in a Boost license only header. The
boost-root/boost/detail/endian.hpp header can be change to forward to
the Boost.Endian header, for compatibility, and the SGI copyright can
then be eliminated. I'll add that to the do-list.

--Beman