Subject: [boost] [persistent] BerkeleyDB, SQLite, more
From: Stefan Strasser (strasser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-26 17:25:16

Hello everyone,

if this is the first time you're hearing about this library proposal,
please start by reading the "Motivation" and "Approach" sections here:
http://tinyurl.com/ct2vfp5

I've had some time to kill lately, so there are now working storage
backends for BerkeleyDB and SQLite. Here's a simple example storing and
modifying some objects in a BerkeleyDB: http://pastebin.com/yXJbTdz7

There is also a virtual interface that lets you decide which database to
use at runtime, or dynamically link different DBMSs. You'll also be able
to use multiple databases at once and have global transactions among
them, if the DBMS supports two-phase commits.

Are there any suggestions for other storage engines to support?
If you are familiar with one you are also very welcome to contribute.
The interface is very simple and no knowledge of library internals is
needed.

At this point storage engines to support should be:

  - transactional. There is code for a MVCC transaction layer from my
own storage engine, but it's not generic enough yet to just put it on
top of a non-transactional engine like google's LevelDB.

  - good at handling BLOBs to store serialized objects.
Object/Relational mapping is a whole other project.

  - preferrably have a very free license. The BerkeleyDB code is
seperated from the rest so I don't think there are problems with the
GPL-like license "infecting" the entire library if you don't use it. But
if you do, it's GPL or commercial.

I've looked at Tokyo Cabinet in some detail, but it seems more like a
collection of functions to me, that one could use to build a DB with,
than a robust product. I would like to be proven wrong on this, as it's
often compared to BerkeleyDB and is LGPL-licensed. Suggestions for other
embedded databases that could be supported are also welcome.

Best regards,

Stefan