Subject: Re: [boost] [gil] Ok to merge new gil's extension to release branch?
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-29 22:13:14

AMDG

On 03/29/2013 11:44 AM, Christian Henning wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>

>> a) add zlib.jam etc. to Boost.Build. I can review and add
>> them if you point me to where they come from.
>
> You can find all jam files here:
>
> http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/tools/build_extensions/ext
>
> I use:
> zlib.jam
> png.jam
> jpeg.jam
> libtiff.jam

Thanks.

>> b) in your Jamfile, attempt to auto-configure these libraries
>> if they are not already configured.
>
> I'm not sure what that means. A user has to point to the source code
> somehow. How should we do that? Using environmental variables?

It would go in user-config.jam (or site-config.jam).
If the library has a standard installation
location it should be found without any
help from the user. There's nothing we
can do on Windows, but on other platforms
we can use the compiler's default search path.

>> c) in your Jamfile, test whether the libraries were
>> successfully configured and take any appropriate action.
>
> Again, how would you do that?

What I mean is that your code should look like:

using zlib ;

if [ zlib.configured ] { ... }

I don't know whether the existing zlib.jam
supports usage like this, but I'll make sure
that something like this works if you need it.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe