Subject: Re: [boost] Experimenting with modular Boost
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-30 17:55:18

on Tue Mar 26 2013, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.boost-AT-kayari.org> wrote:

> The instructions at https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/TryModBoost
> seem to be bogus, apparently because the cloned repo contains no
> .gitmodules file so the 'git submodule update --init' command does
> nothing, and I then get an error for the last step:
>
> $ cmake -P forward_headers.cmake
> CMake Error: Error processing file:forward_headers.cmake
>
> I'm "only" using Git 1.7.12 but I don't think that's the problem.
>
> The older instructions at
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/CMakeModularizationStatus refer
> to a non-existent http://github.com/boost-lib/boost URL, so they don't
> work either.
>
> I've looked at several other wiki pages, but they're also inconsistent
> or don't help. Is there any accurate documentation for modular Boost?
>
> How does someone try modular boost?

Sorry, we're currently in an "in-between" state with a new
modularization strategy. The results are going into
http://github.com/boostorg. The only problem is that we don't currently
have a "super project" that references all the modules as submodules.
Reconstructing the history of the super project is a bit of a challenge,
which I'm presently working on. I'll try to put notices on those wiki
pages.

--
Dave Abrahams