Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Log: Any Comments? (Was: [log] Permission to merge to trunk)
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-01 12:04:40

You can
> contact Boost.Phoenix authors for their opinion on this, or create a Trac ticket (preferably, with
a patch).

> Personally, I feel reluctant to maintain hard no-warnings guarantee in Boost.Log, simply because
it's too
> tedious and most warnings on higher levels are bogus anyway and trying to avoid them only makes
the
> code worse.
> I try to keep the code silent on normal levels, however.

Can you *suppress warnings* - some suggestions are at

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines

Using push'n'pop around troublesome sections usually works, and isn't too tedious to implement.

Of course warnings deep in Phoenix may be more difficult to avoid, but you still should be able to.

Since there are shops that require use of higher warnings levels, or even warnings as errors,
(despite what you might think about their decisions) you may make your reportedly excellent and very
widely applicable log library unusable for them. This would be a pity?

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK