Subject: Re: [boost] Review managers wanted for augmented data structures
From: Vadim Stadnik (vadimstdk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-06 10:57:31

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 11:37 PM, Stefan Strasser <strasser_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Zitat von Vadim Stadnik <vadimstdk_at_[hidden]>:
>

> As for just review, I am interested in any helpful comments and
>> suggestions
>> concerning advanced data structures.
>>

> whichever data structures you'll decide are useful to boost users, would
> you please consider implementing them as Boost.Intrusive containers from
> the get-go?
> Non-Intrusive containers can be implemented very easily in terms of
> Intrusive containers, as opposed to the other way around.

First of all, I cannot speak on behalf of boost users. I can only express
my own opinion.

In the general case the question is not trivial at all, since there are at
least two significant parameters to be taken into account:
- the cost of development of a data structure and/or container;
- the total computational cost or the running time of a user algorithm;

The first parameter is normally more important for a small project: a
single developer or a small team of developers. The second parameter has
top priority for applications with thousands and millions of users. As
usual, there is a grey area. This is the case of properly formulated
requirements.

If Boost.Intrusive containers (and containers based on Boost.Intrusive
containers) outperform all other containers, they are the best possible
choice. They are winners by both of these important parameters. Otherwise
their advantage is not so obvious.

Regards,
Vadim Stadnik