Subject: Re: [boost] JSON Parser GSoC 2013
From: Philip Bennefall (philip_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-10 18:23:38

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephan Bourgeois" <stephanb2_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:46 PM
Subject: [boost] JSON Parser GSoC 2013

Hi everybody,
I am studying for an MSc in Computer Science at Oxford Brookes University.
I have taken a compiler construction course this year and I am therefore
interested in the JSON Parser idea for the Boost library.

Open Source JSON parsers have already been implemented in C++ and in Java.
Examples of Java libraries are: Gson, quick-json. Even if other libraries
already exist, developers who are using Boost for their project will
appreciate having a JSON parser within Boost.

>From a compiler construction background, writing a JSON parser is not
difficult. The JSON grammar is simple and the specification is easy to
find. Potential difficulties can exist with robustness of error handling
and recovery.

The question is what data structure we should use to represent JSON
objects, and how the user can access key/value pairs in those objects.
 (examples: Boost.PropertyTree, pre-existing C++ object, ...)

Ideally we should offer validating and non-validating implementations. We
should also offer JSON generation as well as parsing.

Let me know what you think.
Kind regards,
Stephan.

Hi Stephan,

Have you looked at boost.property_tree? That includes a JSON parser among
other things, as well as an appropriate data structure to hold the tree. Are
you invisioning something different?

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall