Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC 2013: ODE or B-trees?
From: Antony Polukhin (antoshkka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-11 02:55:06

2013/4/10 áÒÔ£Í óÅÒÏ× <serov.mipt_at_[hidden]>:
> Hello!
<...>
> A few facts:
> - the 3rd year student of Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology
> (State University), Russia.
> - ~1 year exprerience of C/C++ industrial programming in Intel as intern.
> - no experience in open souce project contribution.

Hi, neighbor!
Welcome on board, I hope you'll like it!

> B-trees: The topic "B-trees" is located in the additional list of
> ideas for GSoC, so there is no concrete information except the title.
> Could someone (maybe who have put this in the ideas list) will tell
> anything: maybe requirements, any thoughts, why is it mentioned in
> GSoC ideas list, why isn't this idea in a main list or any information
> like in projects in the main ideas list, please?

First of all, read this thread, it has a lot of information about b-tree:

It also contains some documentation about b-trees.

> What would you advise me: to apply for the concrete project from the
> main list or to develop the project from additional list? What is
> preferable for the community?

No big difference, both projects are very interesting. However some
organization is already doing some work on B-trees. You shall ask
them, may be they need some help (or do not need help at all, in that
case ODE is more preferable).

> Could you give a kind of very brief estimation and comparisson of
> difficulty of both projects?

B-trees are partially written, require some knowledge of OS specific things.
All I know about ODE - it requires a good knowledge of math (you shall
have no problems with that :-) ).

--
Best regards,
Antony Polukhin