Subject: Re: [boost] [ublas] bugfix for matrix operation /
From: Mario Mulansky (mario.mulansky_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-17 12:13:24

<mario.mulansky_at_[hidden]>wrote:
> > On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 08:16:57 PM Steven Watanabe wrote:
> > > AMDG

> > using

> > > I don't think that's such a great idea.
> > > Using regular operators for elementwise
> > > operations is likely to be surprising.
> > > i.e. if you can do (A / B) you should
> > > be able to do (A * B) as well, and it
> > > you be the inverse of A / B. But
> > > multiplication is defined for matrices
> > > and is *not* an elementwise operation.
> > > There is no way to define this that
> > > won't surprise someone. There's a
> > > good reason why uBlas doesn't provide
> > > these operators already and why MATLAB
> > > has a separate set of operators for
> > > elementwise operations.
> >
> > uh wait, i dont want to add this operator to ublas. I need it within
> > odeint
> > and it would be part of some ublas_extension.hpp in odeint, it would be
> > merely
> > an implementation detail no user would encounter.
>
> [...]
>
> If no user would encounter it, why don't you just define and use a free
> function elementwise_divide? Why does it have to be named operator/?

oh because then i can reuse my code that is based on operator / being defined,
it's just the easier way for me to go.

but despite that i consider it a bug in ublas. the templated operator
matrix/skalar gets instantiated even if i write matrix/matrix. this then
results in a nasty compiler error instead of telling me operator/ for matrix
matrix is not defined, as it would if the enable_if was there.

best,
mario