Subject: Re: [boost] [operators] The future of Boost.Operators
From: Marc Glisse (marc.glisse_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-22 16:10:58

Hello,

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013, Daniel Frey wrote:

> I would like to discuss the future of Boost.Operators, as several issues and options have piled up in the past. Here are some points to take into account:
>
> 1) Support for rvalue references to generate fewer temporaries. (where available)

I notice that some of your operators return rvalue references. It seems
that everybody tries that, and eventually goes back to returning plain
rvalues (see the discussion about boost.multiprecision for instance).

> 3) Support for constexpr if this is applicable at all. I haven't found the time to properly research it yet.

Seems easiest to wait for C++14, where you want constexpr in front of
every function.

> (If a MS-employee would like to provide some information on if/when the EBO-problem will be fixed (here or in private email), I'd be grateful.

It seems that MS decided to break the library ABI at every release and the
core ABI almost never, and the change you are asking for would break core
ABI.

--
Marc Glisse