Subject: Re: [boost] Live read-only GIT mirrors of Boost trunk SVN
From: Richard (legalize+jeeves_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-25 13:11:13

boost_at_[hidden] spake the secret code
<91F7C5E41BDB8741865487C9BDC9262B178CAD49_at_[hidden]> thusly:

>The live GIT mirrors of Boost trunk SVN have become a bit stale in recent
>months [...]

I tried making a mercurial mirror of the Boost trunk SVN and found
that it took so long to do the conversion process, that I could never
get it to complete on my home computer with cable modem internet
access, but I could get it to complete on a shell account with faster
trunk access.

I also found the resulting repository was *huge* because I had *every*
revision of boost ever recorded in the svn repository.

I'm curious if you had different experiences when making a git
repository.

I am more familiar with mercurial than git, and I wanted to make a
local mercurial repository so that I could work on my changes locally
and checkpoint them using the version control system instead of manual
backups. AFAIK, there's no way to record local changes with
versioning using subversion, there's only committing to the remote
server.

     The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
  Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>