Subject: Re: [boost] Live read-only GIT mirrors of Boost trunk SVN
From: Richard (legalize+jeeves_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-25 15:45:12

I wrote:
>> I'm curious if you had different experiences when making a git
>> repository.

boost_at_[hidden] spake the secret code
<91F7C5E41BDB8741865487C9BDC9262B178CAECE_at_[hidden]> thusly:

>And after a day or two it completed [...]

OK, mercurial conversion of the subversion repository didn't take THAT
long, but I wasn't running it on a cloud machine, I was running it on
my ISP's shell access machine. I have no idea how long it would take
on my home machine because when it fails in the middle, the incomplete
repo is deleted and you have to start all over again :-(.

Mercurial gave me a .hg directory that was 456MB, and 932MB for a
complete tree (repository plus source). I'm not sure if your 700 MB
included a checked-out version of the tree, or only the size of the
git repository.

>Ah, getting subversion commits to match git commits that's subgit's problem
>:).

Well, I anticipate that my final changes will be turned into a single
subversion commit by the maintainer of the boost library. However,
what I would like is a local repository where I can make local commits
to "lock in" forward progress and you can't do that with subversion
AFAIK.

I don't actually anticipate pushing from the mercurial repo straight
into Boost's subversion repo, because I'm not a library maintainer.

     The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
  Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>