Subject: Re: [boost] [result_of] Allow result_of to work with C++11 lambdas
From: Daniel Walker (daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-27 12:00:50

On Apr 21, 2013, at 10:36 PM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Daniel Walker wrote:
>
>> I feel like I haven't used TR1 in a while...
>
> I can't think of a reason to ever use TR1 (and whichever version of result_of) in C++11. Even less so in C++14, which will have deduced return types unless the N3638 formal motion failed, and I very much hope it did not.

Agreed, and we recommend in the boost::result_of documentation that C++11 users use std::result_of rather than boost::result_of. However, one reason to use TR1 in C++11 is to make code more portable to/from C++03, which is an important use-case for boost::result_of right now. This is one reason why we require explicit user action to change the default (TR1) behavior on sub-standard C++11 compilers: to promote portability and to minimize the effort needed to compile existing C++03 code.

- Daniel