Subject: Re: [boost] [Log] Plans to use std::thread?
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-29 13:18:38

On Monday 29 April 2013 12:47:43 Rich E wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As I've been testing out the newly added Boost.Log library, I noticed it is
> relying on Boost.Thread even when the C++11 <thread> library is present.
> Are there any plans to allow the native <thread> library to be used when
> it is available?

No, not currently. Are there any benefits?

Boost.Log uses quite a few components of Boost.Thread, some of which are not
available in C++11, AFAIK. Switching to partially use C++11 components and
partially Boost.Thread would complicate the code, which is already quite
complicated because of different supported configurations.

Besides, boost::thread is only used in asynchronous sinks, and its use is
optional. You can create the thread yourself and use that thread to process
log records.