Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc-2013] Boost.Thread/ThreadPool project
From: Vicente Botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-29 13:48:23

Niall Douglas-2 wrote
>> > I'm not ruling out the merit of a Boost.Thread threadpool. For me
>> > personally though, the hurdle is very significantly raised: you need
>> > to strongly prove to me why your proposed thread pool is much superior
>> > to a Boost.ASIO based threadpool. Otherwise I will zero score the GSoC
>> > proposal, because in the end we need other proposed projects more.
>> This is your right, but I don't know how the fact you can write easily
> the thread
>> pool you need to diminish a generic thread pool working well with
>> futures.
>> [snip]
>> Hopping this helps you to understand the project I'm looking for.
>
> There are many ways systemically of implementing futures. The way you and
> Anthony have taken to date is a non-intrusive approach such that futures
> stand alone. This is great for not forcing design onto third parties and
> is
> a decentralised POSIX-y approach, but it comes with significant
> performance
> and memory costs because it's hard to get standalone, non-intrusive
> futures
> to batch themselves without sacrificing performance.

I have no merit here. This is the approach the standard has defined futures.

> An alternative approach is to assume a central dispatcher/event loop which
> can optimize then() chaining because it knows of all futures and their
> relationships currently in flight (this is a much more centralized statist
> NT-y approach, and it you can see that philosophy clearly in Microsoft's
> N3428). You can see an example of this approach to implementing future
> chaining with multiple dependencies which extends Boost.ASIO in
> https://github.com/ned14/TripleGit/blob/master/triplegit/include/async_file_
> io.hpp#L785. I also went ahead and implemented N3428's when_all() which
> returns a future chained to multiple input futures, not that I claim the
> implementation mature yet.

I don't know ASIO enough to understand the advantages or liabilities.
While a central dispatcher/event loop could be useful for some applications
other need more concurrency.
I'll need to take a deep look at ASIO when I would have enough time.

> My concern with Boost.ThreadPool right now is that it could get in the way
> of the latter approach. I have zero objection to a formulation which
> embraces both approaches, but when you ask why a thread pool isn't in the
> standard, I think it's because until we've fixed futures implementation
> and
> all the composibility and chaining we're sure we need, and made sure that
> interops smoothly with the forthcoming TR2 networking proposal, then and
> only then is it wise to proceed with threadpool design.

I'm not aware of the TR2 networking proposal needs respect to futures or
thread pool. Again I'll take a look to the current proposals.

> All that said, this is purely a cautious opinion of mine. You're one of
> the
> Boost.Thread maintainers, so I happily defer to your judgment on this. If
> you think we need a threadpool now, you'll find no opposition from me.

If IIUC you are not suggesting that the student uses the ASIO approach, but
that it is not time to solve the thread_pool now. Could you confirm?
If yes, could you tell me what is blocking that we can not try to solve?

Best,
Vicente